While the benefits of full-funnel marketing and sales programs are great—so are the chances of failure without proper preparation. Too many practitioners race to campaign execution without strategies, processes, training, data, content, etc…
Not Everyone Makes It to the Summit
Only 52% of Mt. Everest summit attempts are successful. And that’s the good news! Those who make it to the summit of full-funnel performance marketing and sales get prepared by planning and training to variable capability conditions such as strategy & planning, account selection, data aggregation & insights, content personalization, orchestration, measurement, etc, etc, etc…
A large reason for the lack of marketing advancement falls on the “guide.” Some organizations hire the equipment (martech vendor) guide while others simply default to a junior or inexperienced resource. Neither possess the map to the summit. Neither are going to “connect the dots” with strategy and campaigns to ensure that revenue goals are met. Reaching the summit requires a “Sherpa” (seasoned strategic advisor / consultant) as guide. The investment will pay off as the Sherpa will know which paths (processes) to use to save time, which paths to avoid, and how to pack tactics and build campaigns for quick wins.
The Path to the Summit Has Questions, Choices and Detours at Every Turn
Full-funnel performance marketing and sales has proven it can provide substantial top line growth. It’s certainly worth the summit attempt. However, no one promised the trek will be easy. Whether you are implementing marketing/sales campaigns or climbing a large mountain, there are certainly many routes available to you to reach the summit. Whichever route you chose, please remember the three rules of mountaineering:
- It’s always further than it looks
- It’s always taller than it looks
- It’s always harder than it looks
No matter which route you choose, I recommend that you begin with a Marketing and Sales Effectiveness Program. This strategic engagement ensures that your diverse team begins with the same baseline of knowledge and has the compass and basic roadmap to head in the right direction.
Marketing and Sales Effectiveness: Driving Faster Pipeline Velocity and Greater Deal Size
Fractional, executive level business strategy, marketing, and sales services for high-growth technology companies.
- Business, Marketing and Sales Strategy Across All Media
- Marketing and Sales Enablement
- Demand Generation, Lead Nurturing and Full Funnel Management
- Account Based Marketing and Selling
- Content Marketing, Brand Storytelling and Advocacy
- Marketing/Sales Technology and Operations
- Advanced Analytics and Attribution Modeling
- Strategic Partnership Sourcing and Channel Management
- Start-up Formation and Governance
- Developing and Implementing a “Shared Vision”